History of our school
The School opened on Monday 3rd July 1843 as the Guildhall Feoffment Poor Boys School, thirty boys being the first pupils. The school was built on land owned by, and with the money provided by, the Guildhall Feoffment Trust.
Photos sourced from www.burypastandpresent.org.uk
c1865. The school from College Street
c1865. The school from Bridewell Lane
The Guildhall Feoffment Trust was founded under the terms of the Will of Jankyn Smythe, a 15th century wealthy merchant of Bury St Edmunds. Since its formation, the Trust has initiated and supported many charitable causes in Bury St Edmunds, and continues to do so to this day.
In fact, the school still pays rent to the Trust...a princely some of £2 per year!
Jankyn Smythe. Photo: St. Edmundsbury Museum
School opens as Guildhall Feoffment Poor Boys School, and teaches 30 pupils
The School has now grown to teach 240 boys in the present hall
A major extension is completed to allow the School to provide education for boys and girls up to the age of 14
Upon a re-organisation of schools in Bury St Edmunds, St Mary’s Infant School closed and merges with the Guildhall Feoffment
Internal improvements are made, and the School is re-designed and now teaches children from 4 to 9 years of age
The School celebrates its 150th anniversary
The School celebrates its 170th anniversary
The School becomes a full primary school to include ages 4 to 11 and a new school building is built for the older children
The School celebrates its 180th anniversary