School Logo

Guildhall Feoffment

Community Primary School

Interactive Bar

Google Services

Translate

Translate

Search

Search

Get in touch

       

History of our school

The School opened on Monday 3rd July 1843 as the Guildhall Feoffment Poor Boys School, thirty boys being the first pupils. The school was built on land owned by, and with the money provided by, the Guildhall Feoffment Trust. 

Photos sourced from www.burypastandpresent.org.uk

Picture 1 c1865. The school from College Street
Picture 2 c1865. The school from Bridewell Lane

The Guildhall Feoffment Trust was founded under the terms of the Will of Jankyn Smythe, a 15th century wealthy merchant of Bury St Edmunds. Since its formation, the Trust has initiated and supported many charitable causes in Bury St Edmunds, and continues to do so to this day. 

In fact, the school still pays rent to the Trust...a princely some of £2 per year!

Picture 1 Jankyn Smythe. Photo: St. Edmundsbury Museum

Timeline

 

1843

School opens as Guildhall Feoffment Poor Boys School, and teaches 30 pupils.

1900

The School has now grown to teach 240 boys in the present hall.

1933

A major extension is completed to allow the School to provide education for boys and girls up to the age of 14.

1972

Upon a re-organisation of schools in Bury St Edmunds, St Mary’s Infant School closed and merges with the Guildhall Feoffment.

1974

Internal improvements are made and the School is re-designed and now teaches children from 4 to 9 years of age.

1993

The School celebrates its 150th anniversary

2013

The School celebrates its 170th anniversary

2016

The School becomes a full primary school to include ages 4 to 11.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top